RE: longitudinal waves

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Robert,

> Dave: I suspect I am just a bit older than you, 50+ years or so.

Thanks for the compliment, but you're not that much older than I.  40+

> I think I should let you know that modern speakers are low impedance and
will not work on a crystal set.

I've built six crystal sets in the last 3 months, including the Mystery
Crystal Radio from the 1930s.  I've got a good feeling for crystal radio
output.

> You will nead to make your own high impedance speakers 2-20k as they are
no longer made. Even high impedance ear phones are hard to get except
surplus.

I'm a military surplus dealer.  I have all kinds of neat parts, including a
box of military high impedance headsets.  If I need to, I'll add a battery
in the detector circuit.  But I'm figuring that with an antenna of the size
I'm working with, a high gain crystal set, and 1000 Ohm military radio
headsets that I'll be able to pick up a signal without the batteries.

> You might try a crystal transducer or use an amplifier.

I've tried both, with success.  It's just for the thrill of using free power
that I'm going to use the high impedance speakers.

I have an intense interest in many subjects and work on all these projects
full time.  I appreciate the suggestions and welcome even more.

Dave