Re: Tame MOT Pictures

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Winston,

Yes, both MOTs are from Advance Transformer Co. Except
for color, they are physically identical. I wrote that
"2400" on the label because I tested & labeled all my
MOTs awhile back. I applied 120vac to the secondary,
measured the stepped-down voltage on the primary, and
used the resulting ratio to calculate the open-circuit
primary voltage (hence, 2400v). I know this method
isn't 100% honest, but I was trying to match up pairs
of MOTs, and matching by turns ratio seemed like a
good place to start. Most ovens I've gutted have
contained MOT capacitors rated at 1900wvac, 2100wvac,
or 2200wvac, which leads me to the conclusion that in
a "real" circuit, the MOT was putting out no more than
the voltage listed on its doubler cap. Don't worry
about the 1900vac rating of your MOT. A matched pair
of them will still kick some serious arse in a twin
MOT power supply.

Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg