Re: strap primaries

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

> Hey guys, A question about primaries.
>
> I once read that copper strap has better RF conductive properties than
> copper tube, but we use tube in tesla primaries to suppress corona
> loss. My question is why? If you have, say, a peak primary voltage of
> 40kV and a 10 turn primary, don't you technically only have 4kV/turn?
> Isn't 4kV too low a voltage for corona discharge to really be a
> problem? I would rather use strap as it is much easier to bend then
> tube.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Greg Peters

	As I'm sure you'll hear from many others, in the "early days of spark",
spirals made of flat conductors were the norm for "oscillation
transformers", and a lot of the early instructions for building TC's
showed the same configuration.  The corona between turns of the primary
is of no interest, only the possible influence of the primary shape on
arcover from the top terminal.

Ed