Re: PVC secondaries

Original poster: "Daniel McCauley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

I still disagree. It may help a little but I don't think its truly
necessary.  Our technicians here frequently build high voltage loads using
PVC as air cores for various filter coils as well as using PVC throughout
the load structure for mechanical support where high voltage resistors are
attached directly to the PVC.  (PVC is much cheaper than glastic when
building temporary loads)

We design high power (>10 MegaWatt) radar transmitters and the power
supplies we test output voltages approaching 600kV at very high currents
(>5A at 600kV)  We almost never have any flash-overs on the PVC due to
creepage etc...  We also design Hi-Potentional Test (Hi-Pot) machines with
outputs exceeding 1 MILLION volts (very low current of course) and our
prototypes frequently use PVC forms for our output coils.  (Hi-Pot machines
look very similar to tesla coils except they work differently.)

Dan McCauley
Sr. Transmitter Engineer
Lockheed Martin NESS