Re: HV resistors for MMC

Original poster: "Daniel McCauley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

Depends on what you are using them for.  If you are shunting each capacitor
individually for a bleeder resistor, there is no need to have 2500V
resistors.

If you are using these resistors in a pulse type application, then you
really want to get carbon resistors (newark electronics still sells these
but most manufacturers aren't making these anymore these days.)

Wirewound - Forget it - too much inductance

And forget metal film type resistors as well as the metal electrode (forget
the proper term for this) connecting the lead and the material inside the
unit cannot withstand high transient peaks.  It will burn up and this is the
part that typically fails.

Anyway, what in particular are you trying to use these for???

dan