Re: Tesla Coil Capacitors - Why build them?

Original poster: "Ben McMillen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <spoonman534-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Lots of reasons..

1. Most cheap HV caps aren't always suitable for coiling
use..

2. MMC's are self healing (if you get the right kind..)

3. Commercially available pulse caps have a big price tag
and a rather short life span.. shorter if you buy them
used..

4. If you blow your only cap, then you're stuck.. if you
blow a few caps in an MMC array, you can replace them..

5. Saltwater caps are THE way to go on a low budget.. sure
they're lossy as hell, but often you can make them for
FREE! (it doesen't get much better than that.. )

These are just a few reasons.. but I'm sure there are
more..
(anyone correct me if any of these are wrong..  ;) )

Coiling In Pittsburgh
Ben McMillen