RE: Electronic damage

Original poster: "Jeff W. Parisse by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com>

Anthony,

kVA Effects has the most experience running Tesla coils in dense
electronic environments. Success depends heavily on three factors:

1. Quality of Coil. - Some coils put out tons of RF into the air and
spikes into the console ground and mains. The RF will foul data
transmission (DMX Control, etc.) and the spikes will kill equipment.

2. Grounding Techniques - Not only do you have to properly ground the
secondary but you must also ground the console separately AND all of the
other vendors (lights, sound, video, etc.) MUST follow industry standard
grounding practices with THEIR equipment. This latter point is
especially difficult to control. Our contract states that all vendors
must comply with our wiring and placement directives. Our staff has many
years of experience in professional show systems (Bill W. and I are both
former sound engineers).

3. Clean Power - You must be isolated from power used by anyone else.
Use a large generator (3x load) or isolation transformer. Microsoft
FUBAR'd in the biggest way by "forgetting" to provide us with isolated
power for an arena show (even though our need for isolated power was
spelled our in numerous letters, emails and meetings). Displaying a
level of arrogance that could only emanate from Microsoft, they told us
to use "other" power and poof... they lost a $6,000 video switcher. The
show when on flawlessly and the tens of millions of dollars worth of
computers and other show equipment worked without error or incident.
Microsoft acknowledged culpability and paid the bill. This was the only
piece of equipment we've ever fried.

Bottom Line: Does your Tesla vendor carry insurance? We carry a five
million dollar liability policy.

Jeff
www.teslacoil-dot-com