Re: new coil

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

>  does your fet driver use a timer that you have to
> tune to the right frequency or does it have a feedback
> coil that tells it when to switch?
>
> --- Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:
> > Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz
> > <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>
> >
> > Last night I wound 18" of #26 on a 4.5" O.D. form.
> > Gonna hook it up to
> > my lowly 30V MOSFET driver.  At least its an upward
> > path to somewhere
> > :)  2.5Mhz just wasn't fun enough.  <300khz has more
> > possibilities.  I
> > guess now I need to build a toroid.  The roommates
> > asked my what the
> > pipe was for.  I told them I was beefing up the
> > toilet plumbing :)  They
> > didn't believe that, so I told them if the lights
> > started dimming, run
> > out of the house quickly.  Rob.
> >

> > --
> > -----------------------------
> > The Numeric Python EM Project
> >
> > www.pythonemproject-dot-com
> >

> =====
> JImmy
>
> _

This is a real sized Tesla coil driven by a wimpy driver.  I use a
TLC555 with a very expensive (2" diam) Bournes 20 turn pot, a UC2710
driver and an IRFP150 FET.  I had to rewind the ferrite transformer for
the lower freq. 6 turns primary and 30 turns sec.  I intend on using
this for some higher power experiments.  I built a "sort-of" sphere
using two stainless steel mixing bowls.  Machined them and they fit
together snugly.   Had to get rid of the bowl lips.  As soon as I get
some TO-247 600V FETS, I will raise the voltage.  I get no more output
<300Khz than I did at >2Mhz with the tiny coil.  Probably because the
coil has 50 ohms of loss.  Rob.

--