Re: MOTs & Thoughts

Hi Ken,

On 22 Jul 2002, at 19:08, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

> I want to see the voltage and current waveforms of these so called
> "saturated" transformers. Show me clipped output voltage waveforms at no
> load.
>
> do these "saturated" transformers dissipate 600 watts of heat?
>
> KEN

To see it for yourself, you can stick a 0.1 Ohm current sense
resistor in series with the primary and see the waveform across it
with an isolated scope. Here is roughly what I saw when I looked:

          *
         * *
        *   *
       *     *
    *           *
*                   * *
                          *            *
                             *      *
                               *   *
                                * *
                                 *

A crude depiction but you get the idea. The primary current in the
transformer I tested peaked at around 20A on each half cycle. The
primary voltage was sinusoidal of course. I don't recall the phase
relationships but I do remember that adding some capacitance across
the primary didn't alter them much if at all. Since I have posted
this picture several times, there may be a reference to it in one of
my old archived posts.

     Re the heating - I've never run one of these for long enough to
determine the amount of heating but might set this up again to check
the unknowns out of curiosity if time permits. None of the
transformers I've come across has used self-fluxing wire but I have
seen a number which have cooked their windings in normal use
regardless.

     All the microwave ovens I've come across emit a lamination
rattle when they are first powered up despite the welded core seams
which is quite a telling indication.

Regards,
malcolm