Mesurement....

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Tesla list wrote:

>>>If you have an easy way to measure the terminal voltage of a

>>>large VDG I'd be interested to know it.

>>        'easy' is a relative term...
>>        I have a couple of pro HV Research Engineering books
>>        with whole chapters theron.  Whether 'easy' applies
>>        to any of those techniques is up for discussion....
>>
>>        An old article on van de Graaf construction included
>>        building a longgggggggggggggg string of hi meg
>>        resistors, driving a uA meter, with the other side
>>        grounded.  By use of MANY resistors, the breakdown
>>        voltage was distributed...  Use of a uA meter kept the
>>        van de Graaf in its normal operating mode.

>>        May be something wrong with that, but I can't think
>>        what....

> The last scheme is OK in principal, if you had a large

> source of very high resistance devices,

	ISTR they used 10-15.

> which you'd probably have to run in oil for
> corona protection.  I don't consider that easy.
 	My recollection: they simply soldered them together,

	added some putty (silicone, now?) for physical
	mount and corona reduction.  Or one might make
	'corona rings' of say #14 wire at each joint?

	Of Course: design details would depend on the
	voltage expected:
	what was usable at 250 KV might be impractical
	at 1 MV and upwards....

	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...