AboutSalts

Original poster: "cd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vbprg1-at-hotmail-dot-com>

A question about salts

I have some epsom salt. I think its mgso4
my question is will this work for producing colored arcs?
I know mg makes very bright/hot flame when burnt.
Im guessing it may not be safe to use...

Also I am wondering what is the scientific explanation of this effect...
my guess is
The very high voltage discharges are vaporizing the wet salt. The vapors
then burn to create what ever color the burning elements in the salt
produce.
I am wondering if the vaporization is due to heat (my coil seems to produce
very little to no heat, by the time I unplug and discharge/ground caps no
heat is detectable on any component), or if there is some type of
Ionic(ionic/covalent? been ahwile ) bond break down in the salts. Is there a
separation of the salts elements from HV electrical Ionization into their
flamable components? If we used table salt as an example does the sodium
seperate from the chlorine? Is the orange from sodium burning?
Or am I way off here.....?

Is there a color chart posted on the net somewhere?
Like a color key for a gas chromatigraph?
Does a gas chromatigraph use an electrical charge to vaporize elements that
only burn at high temperatures?

Chris Dowdy