Re: Twins Spark Videos

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Rscopper-at-aol-dot-com>

Terry,

My neighbors are my loyal fans, you can hear some good oohs and aahhs in the
background of the full video.

The sparks pulse on/off for cooling.  The choke I am using for current limiting
is only 8 AWG, and it get's real hot at 103 amps.  The rotary spark gaps are
only 1/8-in tungsten, and as they get hot their resistance goes way up and the
sparks get shorter.  Two of the next 100 or so projects I have to do are to
rebuild the choke and RSG.

Yes I am running at 24-25KW, and the sparks could be longer, but I have
purposely "detuned" a few items to prevent self-destruction of the system.  The
spark gaps are not at max to get consistant sparks and save my caps, the break
rate is 480 and not 120 to cool off the RSG tungsten better.  My goal is to be
able to set up and run for a few hours every weekend without having to fix it
every time (like I used to have to do).

If I can get consistant thick white-hot 10-ft arcs between the Twins without
self-destruction, I'm happy.

Scott