Re: TC resonance estimation?

Hi Mike,
        The good news is that you can *choose* the frequency you wish
to operate at and design a secondary coil to do it for you. Several
simple equations and an idea of what you want to achieve are all you
need. The bad news is that if you design for a low frequency and a
small coil to do it, the secondary losses will soar exponentially
which is not good, especially for a CW coil where RMS currents are
typically higher than a disruptive coil.

     Medhurst, Wheeler are the names to remember and there must be
plenty of data on what adding a particular size of terminal to a
particular size of secondary does to frequency in the archives. The
final *minimum* radius of curvature of the terminal will determine
what output voltage you can reach (assuming copper losses are kept
low enough) before the coil can break out with a spark.

Regards,
malcolm

On 17 Jul 2002, at 23:47, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mike Panetta by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ahuitzot-at-mindspring-dot-com>