how to calculate turns reqd for chokes?

Original poster: "Laurence Davis by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <meknar-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Are there simple formulas available to calculate the number
of turns required to create a choke of a specific value?  I'd like
to read something on the subject that i could absorb to help me, but I'm not
sure where to look.  I recently posed a question about inductive current
limiting and the most specific answer i received
was the inductive reactance formula. (xc=2piFL)  Although that was helpful,
it still leads me with the basic question of ... I have x material which is
an (EI or toroid, etc) core of n size, how many turns of wire and what size
gauge are required.  from the little research I've done,  a handful of
variables are needed and some calculus...
I can handle that.

plus a knowledge of inductance would be very helpful...
i could build/design
* chokes for current limiting, chokes for filtering,
* chokes for inductance matching of NST to other NSTs (i think u
  could do that.) or to tank capacitor.
* build my own KICKA** Xfmr.

maybe i should change my major from cs to ee/me. this stuff is fun.

any thoughts??
larry d.