VDG's - dangerous

Original poster: "Daniel McCauley by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

> > The information I have read kind of hinted at this but
>
> > went on to say that you didn't want to mess with this
>
> > dangerous stuff...
>
> Takes some care.  van de Graaf currents go up with
> such a rig....

Yes, be careful.  Most people are under the impression that since a van de
graaf generator is electrostatic, that it isn't dangerous.
However, if you have a powerful VDG, and you have someone standing on an
insulator (for hair raising) etc.., the body acts just like a capacitor and
the same goes with those Leyden jars.  These discharges can provide enough
current to be lethal, although very rare.

Dan