Re: Toroid Construction - Need something good . . .

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

>	I purchased a commercial toroids, but would also like to build some
>extra toroids to try out.
>
>	I've looked at lots of links to how to build a toroid, but most of
>what i've seen seems half-assed.  I think i'm missing the good sites on
>toroid construction.
>
>	Could someone help me find a good site or method for constructing a
>top notch toroid???
>
>	Thanks again.
>
>	Dan

Hi Dan..

as far as "top notch" ...  do you mean visually appealing or
electrically efficient?

for electrically efficient ...  most of us have decided upon the
"standard material of choice" ...  the expandable aluminum dryer duct
for our toriods ( this stuff is available up to 16" dia.).  If you want
visually appealing, then the only way to achieve that is to either buy a
professionally made toroid or.......    spend a fortune on tooling to
make one for yourself.

the 2 ways the really good toriods are made are by either deep drawn
stamping or by "spinning" method.
The spinning method for a "real" toriod is more than a challenge, it
requires skill and accurate tooling bases.
( alot of wood is used too to make a large toriod and a really big lathe
or special machines )  A 48" X 10" spun toroid will easily set you back
1000$

deep drawn toroids are pricey due to the "mold" the sheet metal is
formed in.  Tons of pressure and very precise mold halves are used to do
this. Mold making is very pricey ...  ( I work in the plastics field and
have seen the prices of molds and inserts for our business...  most of
them cost more than my house) .

Scot D