Re: Why people don't use MOTs in a TC

Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

Hi Dan
Nnjoyed your post but a perspective I'd like to add.
1) NST's are not actually cheap and plentiful everywhere, in NZ they are
pretty scarce and I suspect same in many parts of USA. The availability of
MOT's is >>> than NST's everywhere

2) Yes they are low volts but all experimenters series up the primaries to
get more volts or employ other techniques to >> the volts. I Run 6MOT's for
over 13kV

3) Too much current? For many of us this is just what we are looking for to
make the TC go well. As with ALL xfrmr slections the overall design needs to
match the supply. With MOT's this generally means big MMC capacity and high
BPS.

4) An NST system can kill as quickly as a MOT one. If you,ve got an NST
system of more than 20mA and you get it your toast just the same.

5) I know of no other route to 8' to 12' streamers using essentially free
xfrmrs. (most repair shops have them in quantites for free or about $5/each
here

6) MOT's are modular ie split drive from mains is possible (load sharing)
and MOT's are robust as hell if used correctly and in oil. Oil containment
in suitable containers is easy. The modular nature permits portability of
the TC also. Just look at the List to see the numbers of people who have
fried NST's compared with those who are killing their MOT's. Many say it's
when not if the NST will fail.

7) With MOT's no matching is needed , basically you can series up almost any
MOT, with NST's they need to be a match (or close to it) for secondary
volts.
Beacause of these points people use MOT's

Subject: Why people don't use MOTs in a TC

<dan.gallagher-at-pulsartech-dot-com>