Re: Re:TESLA COILS are ILLEGAL!

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Jason and All,

> Not many people have 100 amp 3 phase 208 in their homes. And radio
> shack is never going to carry any equipment for many KVA, so only
> the highly determined "general public" is going to
> build these 38 foot spark machines. Which the highly determined
> general public, is already the people who build tesla coils.

I don't think we'll ever see the day that many people have tesla
coils, because it's not a common hobby. It is dang near unheard of.
Why? Because not many people care to make coils. We are the few, the
proud, the TCML. And I really doubt there will ever be a day that the
hobby gets big enough to be of concern to the government(s).

> The "SSgaps of the future" are still a ways off,

SS gaps are very close if not here already. Modern semiconductor,
available at exceedingly lower and lower prices, is about to kick
these things into high gear. I think they will revolutionize the
technology...I bet coil efficiency and sparks hit the roof
(literally).

> and I would be more worried about the gov't seriously restricting
> the sales of pulse caps and such to the general public (which in
> their eyes, is us), based on EMP threats from terrorists.

The government probably realizes that capacitor-generated EMP is not
a significant threat. Also, the general public doesn't purchase large
capacitors, so their time isn't spent worrying about such issues.

> Besides, as a friend of mine always says; Legality is overrated
:-).

Personally, I would agree with that.

> When tesla coils are outlawed, only outlaws will have tesla coils.

I'd agree with that too. However, I doubt it will ever come to it.
This hobby is just not a common thing - it's a fringe science,
homebrew physics thing. Most people (like...almost 100%) would rather
watch TV. Since people haven't changed since the get-go, they
probably won't now.

Those are my thoughts, take care. Flames/comments/Q's all
appreciated.

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: justin-at-hvguy-dot-com