Re: good doorknobs for VTTC?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> Ok,
>
> So is a rating of 60KVAR good or bad for what i want to use these caps for??
>   Or are these caps not made to do what i want them to do.  Some one wrote
> more about KVAR, but i lost the email.  They mentioned that PFC caps are
> rated this way.  Im guessing that a PFC cap wouldnt be what i want.  Could
> someone just give an educated guess as to whether or not these caps would
> work ok for the tuning cap(cap across primary coil) in an 811A driven VTTC.
> The link is in the original message below this.  Thanks you guys.
>
> Steve Ward.

	Unless the frequency is specified (implied in the case of PFC) I'm not
sure what that rating means.  For example, at 20 kV the current
corresponding to 60 kVAR would be 3 amps.  Take 470 pf and a frequency
of 100 kHz, the reactance is about 3386 ohms and the voltage drop at 3
amps would be just over 10 kV.  Sounds to me as if enough of them in
parallel might work beautifully - really low series resistance.

	Anyone bother to think it out?

Ed