Re: A challenge

Original poster: "D.C. Cox by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>

Dan:

We make our "stand-on" platforms with standard formica covered particle
board and make the 8 vertical spacers out of 1 1/2" dia. white delrin rod.

On the top we use GE silicone sealant to attach a 3/8 inch thick glass plate
that is approx. 4 inches larger in dia. than the top of the base plate.  You
are attached directly to the coil with a GTO (neon transformer wire) wire
and this hooks to a small pan (cookie tray is great) of water that you stand
in barefoot.  This couples you directly to the coil without any danger of
getting your feet burned.  The large surface area of your feet in the water
makes a painless connection.

Set your primary sparkgap tight and only run the variac up 20-30% for first
time testing.

Another even more spectacular way, although a lot more expensive, is to buy
a "shark suit" that the coast scuba divers wear.  It is a metal mesh suit
with a separate headpiece and a pair of metal mesh gloves.

Atop this stand you can run even medium size coils at full power as the
Faraday cage effect protects you completely.  There is also no need for the
pan of water if you do it this way.

Have fun but be careful and use caution when doing either of these
experiments.

Best regards,

Dr. Resonance