Re: primary solid/ tube

Hi Josh,

RF currents travel only along the outside of conductors for "messy and
gnarly" reasons.  So RF currents like the outside but ignore the inside.
It might as well be a hollow tube ;-)

For copper, the depth of the RF currents is "generally" given as:

D = 2.602 / SQRT (F)

Where:

D = The depth in a copper conductor RF currents travel in inches.
F = Is the frequency in Hz.

So if we have a typical Tesla coil operating at around 200kHz the depth of
the RF currents is only:

D = 2.602 / SQRT(200000) = 0.00581825 inches

So even copper tubing is mostly wasted copper in conducting even LF
currents  ;-)

Basically, you want lots of external surface area and the interior copper
is of no use.  In all cases I can think of, go for copper tubing.

Cheers,

	Terry