RE: vaseline

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

I disagree.  I used Vaseline to re-pot my NST and have had no trouble with
it.  I don't know what the composition of it is, but it certainly does not
separate into components when heated.  Yes, if I run my coil for extended
times, the NST will get hot and the jelly will melt, but I don't typically
do this.  The melted state of the jelly is no more volatile and likely to
flash than mineral oil, and if my NST were to heat it to the flash point, I
should think something else would have blown long before that point.

There's certainly nothing wrong with transformer oil, you just have to have
an absolutely leak-proof and spill-proof container to contain the oil and
the transformer.  By using my original NST case and Vaseline, I did not
have to worry about leaks and spills and this resulted in a far more
compact solution than if I were to build an enclosure from scratch.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "uk-teslacoil.co.uk by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <duncanr-at-uk-teslacoil.co.uk>

Dear Justin

I strongly advise you not to use vaseline in your transformer, Valseline is
a petroleum jelly(mixture of wax and oil) if the mixture gets too hot the
components will seperate out or flash if their is a spark. Try to get hold
of some transformer oil, if you are in the UK I can source some for you.

Kind regards
Duncan Railton