Rotary kinda works

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

Hi all,
I set up and tried out my crude attempt at a rotary gap today. While
powering up I got to about 50 or 60% on the variac and…
ZZZZZZZZZZ (safety gap starts firing away madly). A couple of times when
I went REAL slowly it would give me a quick BAP out of the toroid but
then immediately went back to ZZZZZZZZ. The motor is in sync at a true
1800rpm and has four electrodes on the rotary.

Is this normal? I didn't dare open up the gap wider until I checked with
some of you resident experts.
I am running three 9/30 NST's if that matters and with my air blast gap
the SG only fires occasionally even with a VERY wide primary gap (like
3/8 of an inch).

Thanks,
Jim Layton
http://www.jlproduction-dot-com/Tesla.html