Re: TC quesions (sic)

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

> Why would this not be considered or called a "transformer? doesn't it
> "transform" the low voltage\high current stored in the "high
> capacitance\low inductance" side into a corresponding equal power in the
> "low capacitance\high inductance" side, at high voltage\ low current?
> All things are equal, unless the resonant rise makes the difference?
> Basically, Isn't this the same thing an iron core transformer does?
> Excuse my dumb showing through, but If i don't ask, I wont know.

A Tesla transformer -is- a transformer (two or more coils with magnetic
coupling). It's just not used as a conventional "ideal" transformer. The
resonant operation causes the instantaneous input and output voltages
and current to be not related by the "turns ratio" of the transformer.
The final effect, however is quite similar. The ideal voltage gain
is given by V2max/V1max = sqrt(L2/L1). This is the same voltage gain
of a conventional cored transformer, where the inductances are
proportional to the square of the number of turns, the coupling is close
to 1, and the reactances are high in relation to the external
impedances.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz