Re: Grounding Problem???

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "terry oxandale by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <toxandale-at-cei-dot-net>

> To expand on this, my "large" coil would run fine with a un-grounded ground
> wire attached (25 feet of 10awg stranded copper wire lying on the concrete
> garage floor),

	It IS grounded.  Thru the concrete.  (concrete is a relatively good
	conductor in large quantities.)  Even if the 'ground wire'
	is insulated, capacitive coupling thru the insulation can still
	take place.

>just as it would with the other end connected to a buried 6'
> grounding rod.

	If an RF reading ammeter (or equivalent) were handy it would
	be instructive to take readings in the ground lead:

		At base of coil, far end connected to 'ground' rod.
		Same, far end disconnected.
		At connection from 'ground' wire to 'ground' rod.

> BUT, if I disconnect the ground wire (grounded or not) at the
> coil end, then the racing sparks were sure to follow with any
> appreciable power input.

	THAT is an ungrounded condition...

	best
	dwp