SSTC-556 timer IC malfunction

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Fucian-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi, i just recently used a staccato design with the 556CMOS IC.I was doing
pretty good for being me.Once i added a MOV across the primary, the staccato
just failed immediatley.WHY?The funny thing is that it still is pulsing.At
the wrong frequency of coarse but it wont respond to POT adjustment.It seems
to be locked or something.I get no ouput from the SSTC.Not even a sizzle.I do
get a sizzle out of an ignition coil.What could be happening?Also everytime i
try using a totem pole transistor arangement with a 2N3904 and 2N3906, the
output voltage drops to about 7volts.WHY?My power in to the 556 and the
transistors is a 12 volt 400ma adapter.Ive tried using a 18volt 1.6Amp
adapter as well.The more powerful one only raises voltage to 8volts. I dont
want to stress the 556 by ussing it to directly drive the MOSFET so I have
decided to order a MOSFET driver from MAXIM.Is anyone had any experience from
them?It can handle 2A continuous.

Matt