Re: lightning arresters

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 1/12/02 6:21:15 PM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi All
>
> The junkyard usually has a pile of lightning arresters. Some of them are
> very heavy. Is there anything about them that would be useful to a coiler?
>
> Godfrey Loudner

Hi Godfrey,

In my opinion, lightning arresters make good overvoltage pro-
tection for pole pigs in piggie powered coil systems, since
that's what they're designed for by the utility companies in
the first place. I have a 12 kV rated one that I have used in
the past with my 14.4 kV pig, but obviously, this is a little
low for 14.4 kV and the arrester does start clipping the pig's
output when the variac is turned up to near maximum. Of
course, it's just doing what it's supposed to do but I can't
seem to locate a 14 or 16 kV rated one.

David Rieben