Re: Several Basic Questions

The capacitor,primary, and spark gap are in series. The power transformer
should be across,or parrelel with, the spark gap. If you put the power
transformer across the capacitor you can experience oscilations that will
,or can, burn out the transformer.
The toroid colects the charge from the secondary and is mounted on top of
the secondary. The taroid also adds capacitance to the secondary to lower
its resonant frequency.A rotary spark gap is a motor driven spark gap.The
secondary is connected to the primary by the magnetic field NOT wires.
   Robert  H