Re: Spark gap erosion resistance

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Nice work Terry,
I think the fact that carbide is actually considered a "ceramic" lends
to the no melt factor? It doesn't melt, It just turns to powder when
heated to white hot.
I imagine if the insert was used in a non cooled gap at very high power,
it would start to react like a carbon rod, but it would again get almost
white hot (that's hot!) so the holder would most likely melt first?
Thanks for being the "big gun" endorsement for carbide, I hope more
coilers switch over.
The inserts come in so many shapes and sizes that any gap arraignment
can be had. I used to hand grind diamond tipped inserts, a diamond wheel
cuts carbide like butter. so i tried my diamond tile saw (wet) just for
"low budget" shaping ability and it worked great. anyone that has one
can get carbide rod stock and shape a nice cone on the end in a few (15
- 20) minutes.
The tips i sent you were found at a carbide sales place in the surplus
bin, so a trip through the phone book might just land a few for the
lucky coilers out there?
Thanks again, and take care.
Marc M.
Geek #1055