Re: Magnetic Rectifier??

Original poster: "Darren Freeman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <free0076-at-flinders.edu.au>

At 06:03 AM 24/02/2002, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
>
>Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Vivek Babtiwale by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dr_vek-at-yahoo-dot-com>
> >
> > Have any of you ever built a magnetic rectifier?
> >
> > http://geoffegel.tripod-dot-com/rect.htm
> > http://www.users.bigpond-dot-com/artoworld/magntrect.html
> >
> > Would one of these work for rectifying the 500KV
> > output of a tesla coil?
>
>I didn't see the patent, but judging from these sites, no chance of
>working at any frequency. It's pure nonsense.

Yeah, judging from the sites it doesn't look like it should work.

But I _have_ thought about it for 5 minutes and I think it should be
possible to build something a bit like a rectifier as the site says using a
saturable core inductor and a DC bias field through the core. If the core
is kept close to saturation, then one half-cycle of AC should see a much
higher inductance than the other, so although the reverse current is
significant, it should demonstrate some rectification. Although the applied
voltage wouldn't be a sinewave and I haven't modeled the circuit. I have a
feeling it does work, though.

If interested, check out the "magnetic amplifier" with a Google search.

>Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Have fun,
Darren Freeman