Re: Experimental Help - Terry?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Richard Wayne Wall by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

> The idea is to measure and compare power simultaneously in both the primary
> and secondary base instantaneously and averaged.  With and without spark
> discharge, continuos and single shot.  My measuring instrument is a two
> channel TDS 210 DSO.  The experiment works.  Unfortunately, the 210 lacks
> the capability to simultaneously multiply one tracing by the other.  So, I
> can't obtain simultaneous power,(P = EI) or  (P = I^2R). I am aware some of
> the newer digital scopes have expanded math functions including power
> functions.  I believe our fearless moderator has one of these great
> instruments.  The TC base is tied to ground and is safe.  The primary
> current shunt seems to be safe, but should be left floating.  If concerned,
> a well insulated Pearson CT, 1:1 isolation transformer or fiber optic probe
> can be substituted and used with the big current shunt.
>
> Can anyone offer advice on the experiment or better yet does anyone have
> measurement capability to get good data?

Measuring the base current of the secondary you are not measuring the
power going into it, but just the base current, that is not even
constant
along the coil. What is the sense of measuring the power dissipated in
the shunt? At most you can let all (most) the energy of an operation
cycle
to be dissipated in the shunt, without sparks, and measure it.
To measure the power entering the secondary coil and the terminal you
would have to measure the rates of change of the energies being stored
in the secondary coil and in the terminal, and the irradiated energy.
This measurement, involving high frequencies, high voltages, magnetic
coupling, and strong interference from high-power pulses, appears to be
extremely difficult.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz