Re: Then what's the topload FOR?

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

> But streamer formation takes place in *far* less time than the time
> per cycle of oscillation.

	That's not my experience here.  When I first power up a (relatively low
power) coil the streamers sometimes appear to build up over a period
which seems like a second or more.

> > So...we're trying to charge a DC storage device from an AC
supply...wouldn't
> > this just result in a net charge of 0V?

	The average charge will be zero.  However, the energy is not stored in
a DC storage device but in a resonant circuit.

 Think about it....

> > Each bang in the tank circuit is of opposite polarity to the next.
>
> Not necessarily true. You can successfully run a TC from a HVDC
> supply.

	I think I'd amend that last sentence to say that "you can charge the
primary capacitor of a TC ......"

> > ringdown reverses....how the hell do we get a spark at all?
>
> You accumulate energy in the secondary system over several cycles of
> oscillation as it rings up in accordance with the primary's ring
> down. And if the radius of curvature of the topload is sufficiently
> small, the air around it will become ionized and form a streamer (or
> several).
>

> Does that help?
>
> Regards,
> Malcolm