Re: Experimental results? RE: Stop the nonsense

> I know that the minimum dielectric rating for the separation between my
> primary and secondary is 225,000 V.  I calculated this by using the
> dielectric strength of the Plexiglas which is 900 V per mil and
multiplying
> it by 250.  The Plexiglas still has the original plastic paper on both
> sides, which adds just a little more to the dielectric strength.

Actually, the paper probably reduces the dielectric strength, depending on
the relative dielectric constants of the materials.
The voltage across the insulator divides up as if you had a chain of
capacitors in series.  Low dielectric constant means small capacitance means
higher voltage.

This is the problem with air bubbles.  Their dielectric constant is low, as
is their breakdown voltage, so you get hammered from both sides. Not only is
the voltage (per unit length) higher across the air than the surrounding
material, but the breakdown voltage of air is lower.

There is also the field concentration aspect.  Little edges and points and
hairs and fibers and bubbles have small radii of curvature, and give a place
for corona to start. Once corona starts, puncture usually follows (although,
I just heard about a piece of wire in the lab which coronas immensely (it
glows in the dark under voltage from the corona), but doesn't actually
fail... weird stuff).

 Then there
> is the 1/4 inch of hot glue.  The hot glue has some bubbles in it, but
there
> is a lot of glue compared to bubbles.  I know from past readings that hot
> glue has a high dielectric strength.  I can't remember what it is, so I
> figure I can safely guess 1/4 of the Plexiglas rating and this gives me
> roughly 300,000 volts dielectric.  The coil has no trouble squeezing
> electrons through all of this.  So I know the terminal has got to be
putting
> out the pressure.

It is very difficult to predicting breakdown voltages in layered things.
There are a lot of variables, and it is very easy to get a breakdown voltage
that is MUCH less than you'd expect from the materials involved.  Ask the
folks building rolled poly/foil/oil capacitors...

> [...]
> several others are building flat spiral coils, when this will confirmed or
> not by other coilers.
>
> I think it is appropriate, considering we are working with a surprisingly
> unknown type of coil, that we get as much preliminary information as soon
as
> possible to assist in designing and preparing tests for our new spiral
> coils.  So the details I gave you were the best I could do.  Let's hope th
at
> what details I have given are enough to direct our efforts to a quick
> discovery of the properties of flat spiral coils.
>
> >A BW television and a computer are hardly what I would call reliable
> instruments for measuring "interference". They are specifically shielded
> some extent) and designed so as to be resistant to interference
> off-frequency.
>
> I'm not presenting a finished product ready for market.  I'm presenting an
> unknown type of coil for experimentation and study.  A TV is not a
reliable
> scientific instrument.  I'm aware of that.  But it is better than having
no
> instrument at all in that it can offer me clues to the operating
> characteristics of the coil.  I realize that if this coil is in fact
> producing radiation but at a much higher frequency, I'm not likely to
notice
> it on a TV set.  But my primary interest in tracking radiation is to know
if
> I'm messing up my neighbor's TV reception.  Since I'm located at ground
> zero, a small black and white TV, that cost me five bucks at a tag sale,
is
> as good an instrument as any that I can afford right now.
>
> I doubt these TVs are as shielded as you say considering the large number
of
> complaints I here about solenoid coils.  I doubt the shielding would be
any
> good sitting 10 feet from a 900 Watt Tesla coil in operation at full
power.

> There are times, Steve, when improvisation is OK and acceptable.  As long
as
> everyone is aware of the "equipment" that I'm using and what I'm reading
> from it, it serves a legitimate purpose.  Most engineers will immediately
> recognize the limitations of my "equipment" and adjust the level of
quality
> of my data accordingly.  Once Terry successfully models the flat spiral,
it
> would be silly to mention TV interference as an indication of operating
> characteristic.  But when there is nothing to go by, the effects the coil
> has on a black and white TV can be more revealing than having no
information
> at all.
>
> What is the link again to your C^2 website, the one with the link to
Nasa's