Re: NST secondary (OBIT secondary?)

Original poster: "Chris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chris-at-atomic-pc-dot-com>

Hi all,

I'm looking at a lifeless 10/23 OBIT that I burned up just as the coil was
sending the wildest-looking, seething and dancing purple streamers off into
the air from the brass andiron sphere I had set atop it as a secondary
terminal... it was... it was ALIVE!!!  then it was, uh... quite dead... and
the OBIT just made a soft buzzing sound...

So (total clueless newbie question here:)  will depotting and immersing in
oil be good also for an OBIT?  I didn't notice a center tap point on the
OBIT, but maybe I just don't know what to look for.  I'd like to resurrect
that OBIT especially since it belonged to a friend :-)

What kind of oil do you use / where do you buy your oil?  I'm interested in
hearing different responses of what people are trying these
days.  (Household-available, etc.?)

Canola (rapeseed) oil:  I don't know much about the dielectric properties
of it, but I know the particular   fatty acids in this make it much less
suitable for human consumption than for industrial use... so now I have
like 2 gallons of the stuff sitting around which I've decided not to use
for cooking, ever...  wait, I'm just thinking aloud here- is transformer
oil just a pure hydrocarbon oil, or is it a "fatty" oil?  Probably devoid
of -O-OH groups which I'd imagine would make the stuff break down at HV
(just a guess, never tried it).  But then, I just found Fuji Electric and
Kansai Electric Power are using a rapeseed-based transformer oil...
http://www.japancorp-dot-net/Article.Asp?Art_ID=1758

Thanks,
Chris