Decrement (?) (Re: (Fwd) RE: Longitudinal Waves)

> While we are on the topic, what is the current scientific explanation
> for the variation of voltage in a damped sine wave?

	What is meant by 'the variation in voltage'?
	If this refers to the decrement in amplitude of the
	successive peaks, same as it has been for 150 years:
		losses of energy from the circuit, by
		'pure' loss (resistance) and EM radiation taking
		energy off and by losses in near by objects,
		eg by inductive or capacitive coupling, leading
		to losses in those objects.

	If:
> What force is believed to determine when the wave will reverse
> direction?

	Depends rather on the source of the wave.  If an alternator,
	then its the motion of the field/rotor.  If an 'inverter',
	or similar, then the switches internals, if a shock excited
	resonant circuit, the resonance.  In any case, each is basic
	science, not much changed in 100 years or so.

 	best
	dwp