RE: Longitudinal Waves

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Antonio,

>Humm... There is a problem in all this: For the frequencies being used and
the sizes of the coils (assumed typical), irradiated fields are
insignificant. All you get are local fields, that are not different from the
magnetic field close to an inductor or the electric field between the plates
of a capacitor.

Experiments are already proving otherwise.  Apparently Robert has
independently measured the fields of a flat spiral coil and came up with
very similar results to what I have been finding.  Perhaps I'm not following
you completely?

>Another thing is that it's not necessary to mention atoms or electrons when
describing electromagnetic fields (actually, almost everything about
electricity).

I find it useful for looking at a pulse wave.  The pulse wave is the
building block of electromagnetic waves.  The flat spiral coil appears to be
a special case where the coil field mirrors the action at the atomic level.

>I see that a spiral secondary produces fields around it that are somewhat
different from what you obtain with a solenoidal secondary. There is a
symmetry between the fields above and below the coil, with the electric
field being predominantly in the direction of the radius of the coil and the
magnetic field forming toroids.

Can you explain your ideas in more detail?  Do you have a reference I can
read?

I haven't delved into the magnetic field yet.  I do agree that the electric
field does occur in the direction of the radius.

>An interesting possibility with spiral coils is to put the high-voltage
output at the edge instead of at the center. In this way the shielding of
the coil by a toroid around it would be almost perfect.

I had thought about this, too.  It would take a flat spiral secondary with a
larger enough inner radius to get the primary at the center, though.  This
would appear to create an entirely different field effect.  This is one of
those experiments I will do later.

Dave