Re: Extra coil

Hi Robert,

On 9 Feb 2002, at 9:31, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "rheidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

> NOT correct:  the crystal set used the natural resonant frequency of the
> coil with no capacitor. The tap slide on the coil was the only tuning for
> phase 1 crystal sets. Capacitor tuning came later and was much more
> convinent than the coil tuning. Coil tuning was a trial and error play every
> time you wanted to change and every day you started to recieve.1/2 to 1 hr..
>    Robert  H

It is then difficult to see how tapping could have changed anything
other than loading and antenna matching to a degree. Tapping the
aerial at various points would have been a somewhat ineffective way
of tuning because of coupling between the tapped and untapped
portions of the coil. I can only attribute the low Q of the circuit
to the loading that it was subjected to. An extra tuned circuit
coupled to it would certainly have made a difference. I still can't
relate this to Tesla's extra coil arrangement.

Regards,
Malcolm
<snip>