Re: Extra coil

Original poster: "Mark Fergerson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mfergerson1-at-home-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Mark Fergerson by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mfergerson1-at-home-dot-com>

<snip part I got right>

> > In the TC, the incoming (primary
> > resonant) frequency is what's wanted, just at larger amplitude,
> > so we change the characteristics of the following resonators to
> > give larger amplitude without affecting the frequency
> > (hopefully). The only "modulation" occuring is the time rate of
> > energy transfer, or "bang rate".
>
> ~~~ A better image is that the resonators act as elements that
> transport a "wave" from the input capacitor to the output capacitance.
> The wave may have to move back and forth several times before
> reaching the maximum amplitude at the output.

  Of course I should have mentioned the two-frequency oscillation
characteristic of TCs which might be mistaken for modulation, but
you graciously ignored that.

> >   Having said that, I'm starting to wonder about SS or VT TCs
> > with their "weird" modes of operation, frinst staccato mode, in
> > which it seems that other frequencies are added to (or rather
> > modulated onto) the resonator frequency to get those strange
> > spark shapes.
>
> These are more like CW systems, electronic CW oscillators.

  Hmm. I was thinking "gated" oscillators.

> >   Also, I think the OP's reference to "microwave ovens" was a
> > mistype; could he have meant "microwave cavities" as in
> > considering the extra coil to be a generic resonator, and
> > replacing it with a cavity to be excited with the output of a
> > standard TC? ISTM that it's possible, if not likely to be
> > especially effective.
> >
> >   I've always wondered how to build a microwave TC...
>
> Surely possible, but not very clear how... Yet.

  Please see my reply to Mr. Kovacevic about this.

  Mark L. Fergerson