Re: Ignition coil question

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

> I've been thinking about this ign. coil in a resonant arc form and was
> wondering why we couldn't use the gm coil as the primary, secondary of a
> magi style system? I tried hooking mine up to the base of my test coil,
> but i think it threw everything out of tune.
> What is the way to find a coil config for the third coil? i know it must
> add the two secondary coils and then match the primary cap to this, but
> will just feeding the third coil via. the base turn work?
> I think this would make a nifty little maggie, I was able to draw 2"
> steady streamers to a ground electrode with the coil so the third coil
> matched up should spit out some nice little discharge from a toroid?

There is a serious problem of magnitude orders in this attempt. The
resonator coils usually found in Tesla coils have inductances in the
tens of mH, and the secondary coil of a magnifier would have at most
an inductance in this range too. The secondary of an ignition coil
has many Henrys of inductance, and huge losses if you try to operate
it at higher frequencies than a few kHz.

What you can do is to operate an ignition coil as a Tesla coil
at low frequency, but the maximum voltage will be limited by the
insulation of the coil. A magnifier following the same idea would
have a resonator with many Henrys of inductance. Another ignition
coil, maybe.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz