Re: paralleling variacs

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Steve,

This is a bit different problem since most coilers have tended to use
matched pairs of variacs. If you use a pair of variacs from different
manufacturers, there are a couple of new "wrinkles": Differences in
Volts/Turn and different angular travel from CCW to CW limit. The good news
is that these should be surmountable. The angular travel (once the variacs
are mechanically linked) will be limited by the variac having the smallest
0 to Vmax rotational angle.

Here's how to solve the problem:

1. Mechanically link the variacs and insure that both are simultaneously at
their zero volt (max CCW) mechanical limits.

2. Carefully power up both variacs leaving the wiper terminals of each
unconnected. Now adjust the linked pair to the maximum voltage (max CW
setting) so that at one variac is at it's maximum CW limit. The other
variac may or may not be at its CW limit.

3. Carefully measure the voltage between the wipers of each variac at the
above setting. Any significant difference between the two voltages must be
balanced so that the two variacs can be safely connected in parallel.
Otherwise the variacs will fight each other, and the resulting circulating
current between variacs may cause needless heating and potential damage.

4. If the measured voltage difference (Vd) at the maximum CW position is
small (say 1-2 volts) you can likely directly tie the two wipers together
and tolerate a little bit of circulating current. And, if the voltage
difference is small, you can temporarily connect an ammeter between the two
(with no other output loading) to measure the amount circulating current.

5. A larger voltage difference will likely require using a balancing
choke/transformer to neutralize it. You can make a center tapped choke by
wrapping #14 or #16 magnet wire or #14 AWG THHN or equivalent house wire
around a junk laminated steel core or a relatively large ferrite or iron
powder core.

The total number of turns you'll require will be a function of the core
size and voltage difference you need to neutralize. You can estimate the
number of turns if you know the core's cross sectional area using a form of
the transformer equation:

     a = core area (square inches)
     f = operating frequency (Hertz)
     B = saturation flux density (use a ballpark number of 1.5 Tesla
         for silicon steel laminations and 0.3 for a ferrite core)
    Vx = 4.44*f*B*(a*0.0254)^2  (Volts/Turn)
   and:
    Turns = Vd/Vx (minimum number of turns - more is no problem)

   Example:
     Let a = 1 square inch core, f = 60 Hz, laminated steel core
     and lest Vd = 5 volts
   Then:
     Vx = 0.22 volts/turn
and:
     Turns = 5/0.22 ~ 22 turns (at least 11 turns on each side of CT)

BTW, you can also use the secondary of a center tapped filament transformer
whose rated output voltage is Vd or above and whose current rating is at
least 7.5 - 10 A. In the above example, a 5 volt (or above) 10 amp center
tapped filament transformer could be used. Leave the primary side of the
transformer open circuited.

           -----------------
           -----------------
           -----------------
     ------OOOOOOOOoOOOOOOOO-------
     To            |              To
   Wiper 1         |            Wiper 2

                   |--- Output

Hope this helped.

Happy holidays to you and to the Tesla List!

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Teslamania, from Stoneridge Engineering