Re: Faraday Cage

Hi Dave,

At 10:25 PM 12/17/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>>If you want a frustrating experiment with a Faraday cage,
>>exactly in frequencies close to microwaves, put a cell
>>phone inside a microwave oven, close the door, and call
>>it.
>
>         Different freqs.  and cell phones are exquisitely
>         sensitive, to keep Tx power requirements down.

Incredibly(!),  If you put some of the new fancy cell phones inside a
little (10 inch dia.) solid copper shell and call them with the transmitter
reasonably near, those darn little devilish things still ring!!  The
transmit sections can pull ring signals right out of the either noise at
like -140dB down!!!

Just the signals hitting the copper and causing 'little' eddy currents,
allows enough to leak inside to the phone's hypersensitive circuits...

I fun trick at sites that have like fancy TUV RF shielded chambers is have
someone call you while inside the supposed dead quite' RF chamber ;-))

>>(Of course don't turn the oven on!)

Personally, I prefer to turn the oven on to rid my self of the little cell
phone devils ;-)))

>>I wonder if the oven keeps its own radiation inside...

"Enough" of it ;-))

On a more serious note...

I think even a "poor" cage would do wonders in keeping the "E" fields
down.  But the "B" (magnetic fields) off that high current primary will go
right through a cage and that may be what a pacemaker is most sensitive to
anyway.  A person's body will attenuated E-fields pretty fast (non-contact)
but high magnetic fields induced on a pacemaker's lead and all may not be
good.  Pacemakers are actually pretty good at defending themselves against
stray fields (like direct contact defibrillators) but amateur experimenting
is pretty rough here!!

There actually have been a few coilers that have "mentioned" they could do
pacemaker tests (they had access to the bare machines) but we have never
heard back as to any results :-(

Ebay does not have any pacemakers listed so we just can't just "buy one one
see"...  Pacemakers have a lot of "details" depending on the situation so
there are no "fit all" recommendations...  Too many and, if, ors, and buts
on this subject....

Cheers,

         Terry