Re: Faraday Cage

The Chomerics web site has a good tutorial on shielding, etc.  Other sources
of information are web sites specializing in EMI/EMC testing and those
selling screen rooms.

There's no real frequency where RF (or any electromagnetic radiation, for
that matter, including light) becomes particularly directional.  However,
when objects, holes, etc, are a significant fraction of a wavelength,
thinking in terms of optics becomes easier than in terms of induced currents
and fields. For microwaves, where wavelengths are a few centimeters, there
are lots of things that are bigger than a wavelength. For HeNe lasers, which
have a wavelength of 628 nm (some 470 THz), optics is really the way to
conceptually approach things. For tesla coils, at 100 kHz and 3000 meter
wavelengths, or even 1MHz and 300 meters, there aren't a whole lot of things
that are many wavelengths in size, so fields are an easier way to deal with
it.  At intermediate frequencies/wavelengths, you can do either.

There's also the thing about near field vs far field for things that radiate
fields. Basically, the near field is where energy flows back and forth
between the field and the radiator. The far field is all radiating away.
Again, there are both physical size and wavelength effects here. The other
thing to think about, as some have recently pointed out, is that the
magnetic fields might actually be a bigger concern (and MUCH harder to
shield) than the E field. Faraday cages don't stop magnetic fields (in fact,
sensitive magnetic sensors are put inside a Faraday shield to reduce
electrostatic pickup).