Re: 10 Questions to help me construct my first TC

Original poster: "harvey norris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Oops,
 >
 > "John's formula you mention is really great!  "Power
 > is proportional to
 > spark length" really is the key regardless of many
 > other things.  You are
 > looking at 15 to 20 inch arcs as the formula says."
 >
 > Actually, "spark length is proportional to the
 > square root of input power".....
 >
 > Cheers,
 >
 > 	Terry

That would mean that it isnt really proportional, more
like inversely exponential?  Do they call that a
logarithmic relationship? My math is rusty here! What
you are implying of course is that for twice the arc
distance, 4 times the original power input would be
required, correct?  HDN

Another question I have that really bugs me is this. A
LTR cap on the tesla primary is often cited. Is this
larger than resonant? Then there is the problem that
if we rate the max delivery of the current limited
transformer, find that largest capacity it can supply
with that current by finding the capacitive reactance
X(C) value to match to the rated voltage, then we have
a peculiar problem. Since the transformer secondary is
current limited by the impedance, (predominantly
inductive reactance, when we then match that value of
capacitive reactance with it as a load, this is
essentially "series resonating" the secondary, which
means we should then expect a higher than rated
voltage output, and consequently more current delivery
than what the current limited spec.s specify.  This
would be a bad practice, No? The voltage would be
going higher than the secondary was designed for, thus
sensibly speaking we would be stressing the secondary
beyond its ratings. Is this what happens or not?  My
second question about this is simple enough, and
obviously I must be having a misunderstanding here.
Since it is the C value that we use that determines
the frequency that will be produced by its combination
with L of the primary, how can we just arbitrarily
increase that C value, (as this larger than resonant
LTR acronyn implies), without in of itself having that
practice CHANGE the resonant frequency of the primary
tank itself. So this issue totally confuses me. Are
folks instead reffering to a cap in parallel with the
NST primary as a power factor correction? That would
typically be a large capacity. Logically thats the
only way I can figure what it is that is being talked
about. Any light at the end of the tunnel here? Do I
need a crash course on acronyms?

Confused in Ohio.
HDN