Re: Secondary and MMC Caps

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

the reason you would need 28 caps for 15kv/30ma but only 14 for 15kv/60ma
is that you need half the capacitance. because there is only 1 string, the
only way to have less capacitance is to series capacitors. for a 15/30 you
would end up with a 56kv rated capacitor that probably wont fail even at
twice that voltage. the peak voltage across a 15kv transformer is 21.21kv
so the mmc would be able to stand voltages that are way higher than your
transformer could put out. you can use even less capacitors if you use
larger than resonant value, because the capacitance can be bigger.

Original poster: "Centauri by way of Terry Fritz "

Hey, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately money is somewhat scarce and I
got 11lbs of 27awg magnet wire for 20 bucks. So that's what I'll probably
be using. I was looking at the geek group page and it say that I will need
28 caps for 15kv/30ma but only 14 for 15kv/60ma. This makes me want to do
the 2 transformer because it will save me money since I already have both
transformer. WHy is it like this though? Also, most mmc banks I've seen are
several strings of about 7-10 caps but at the geek group chart it says 1
string of 28 and 14 respectively. Why is it like this again? Thanks for the
help. Please forgive my ignorance.

Tesla list wrote:

 >Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz "
 >

 >For a 15kV 30 or 60mA power supply, you really should be winding your coil
 >with larger magnet wire. You should be using at least 24 AWG and
 >prefereably 22 or 20 AWG.
 >Otherwise, you'll have a lot of losses in the secondary with very fine wire.
 >
 >Dan
 >

 > > Hey,
 > >
 > > I'm about to start winding my secondary with 27 awg magnet wire. I was
 > > wondering if you guys had any pointers as this is my first time for this.
 > > Also, with either 1 or 2 15kv 30ma transformers will 6" pvc pipe with 28"
 > > winding length be sufficient or is this unrelated?
 > > Last, I need to buy capacitors for my cap bank but I can't find the geek
 > > mmc caps at their website? Where did they go?
 > >
 > > Thanks

Jimmy
(with a lower case i now:-)