frozen ground - driving tool

Original poster: "Dave Halliday by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dh-at-synthstuff-dot-com>

Two options present themselves...

Use 1/2" copper water pipe for your ground rod.  Use a length of
garden hose clamped to the top and feed a trickle of hot water
through as you are pushing the pipe into the ground.  This not
only melts the frozen part but also serves to loosen the rest of
the earth as well.  I did this during the summer for some ground
rods a number of years ago and it worked great - leave a couple
inches sticking out and put a flower pot on top of it when you
aren't using it.

There is a tool for driving metal "garden" fence posts - it's a
2" diameter metal pipe with a 10-pound weight on the end.  The
post fits inside of the pipe for two feet or so - you can lift
the pipe up and drop it onto the post and it will hit the post
solidly with zero fear of missing ( and hitting your foot ) since
it is captive.  You can build something like this for $3 worth of
PVC pipe and some ready mix cement.  Cheap and it works well...