RE: frozen ground ground

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

The problem with the water-hose-through-the-pipe trick is that it tends to
wash the dirt and silt away, leaving only rock and pebbles in contact with
the pipe.  This results in a very poor connection to the earth.

I would not imagine that frozen earth would be nearly so troublesome as
rocks.  A good sledge hammer should persuade a steel ground rod right
through the frost line, if rocks are not an issue.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "kent by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<toyhatsu-at-pcisys-dot-net>

Matt,

I can't remember who I got this from (maybe a Richard Quick post) and I
appologise to that person.  Use a 6-8 foot piece of 1/2 or 3/4 inch copper
water pipe and lead solder a standard copper faucet connection on the end.
Attach a garden hose to the connection  and the other end to a hot water tap
(for winter).  If I remember right it is very easy to push the copper pipe
in the ground as the water displaces the dirt on the way down.

Hope this helps,
Kent