Re: SSTC Pspice Simulation - Valid or changes needed? ? ? ?

Hi Bert,

At 09:47 PM 12/6/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Terry and Dan,
>
>A couple of possibilities...
>
>1. The V2=V1*Sqrt(L2/L1) relationship was actually derived using
>Conservation of Energy and an assumed fixed "bang size". This approach is
>really not appropriate for a resonator being driven from a CW or pulsed CW
>source that can continually add energy into the oscillating system from
>"outside".  For this case, it's more appropriate to use Q-multiplication
>to estimate pre-breakout output voltage. Under CW excitation, secondary
>voltage will build up until secondary losses (per cycle) balance power
>being added into the TC primary (per cycle). Since pre-breakout Q is
>normally quite high (>=100) in a well designed coil the multiplication
>factor is also of similar magnitude. If you're seeing 12 inch discharges,
>you are definitely getting significantly more than 20 kV output.

Oops, you right :-)  CW coils have hardly anything to do with inductance
ratios.  It is a Q effect.  Caught me ;-))

>2. Terry's model simplified corona and streamer losses by assuming
>constant corona loading, but was actually estimated by by looking at "no
>breakout" ringdown of the secondary. It's very likely that Rcorona of 250
>ohms is artificially depressing the model's secondary Q during
>(pre-breakout) ring-up and artificially reducing peak voltage reached by
>the SPICE model. In reality, secondary Q should remain high during most of
>the ring-up. It should begin to measurably decline only after initial
>corona breakout begins to sap additional energy from the secondary.
>However, significant reductions in secondary Q should only be evident
>after full fledged streamers and leaders begin to tap significant energy
>from the secondary/toroid system.

The 220k + 1pF of capacitance per foot of streamer length things does not
apply to CW coils.  The notes at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/CWCoil/CWImpedance.txt

Probably give a far better idea of CW coil streamer impedance but this is
just a one time observation so I don't know how much different coils vary.

Cheers,

         Terry