top terminal current

>>Is there any evidence that the currents from top of a

>>secondary to the top terminal of whatever capacitance

>>a user has will be any different than the ground current

>>from bottom of the secondary to earth?

         [cf my previous...  8)>>)  Ther are any number of
         circuit configurations with differing currents
         at each end...]

>The curents are different. If there is no top load at all,

>the current between the end of the coil and the terminal

>is obviously zero.

         If the coil is off.  8)>>
         If on, some combination of
                 capacitive current to 'earth'
                 corona current to 'earth'
                 streamer current
         will flow, depending on operating point of system.

>If a large terminal is used, the currents tend to be equal.

         Before or after breakout?

>The simple lumped model of the secondary coil, where there

>is a "self-capacitance" in parallel with the coil explains

>this. The base current is split between the current that

>charges the "self-capacitance", that can't be directly

>measured, because it's a distributed current charging
>a distributed capacitance along the surface of the coil,

         'can't' is a bit of a challenge.
         Ferinstance:
                 PVC pipe, with sliding carriage, operated
                 by nylon rope/string.
                 On carriage, small sense coil, driving
                         hot wire ammeter (read by telescope)
                 or
                         IR transmitter (analog or digital)
                         to remote indicator.
                 or
                         incandescent lamp/

         (if one had access to Electrum sized machine, could
         do this INSDIDE the form, but....)

         Getting WAVEFORM of currents is bigger challenge.

>and in irregular way to complicate the things, and the

>current that goes to the terminal, that can be easily measured.

         best
         dwp

...the net of a million lies...
         Vernor Vinge