Re: TC discharge... safe or not

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

All,

OK... some numbers coming up.

The resistivity of human flesh varies depending upon the type of tissue,
ranging from about 150 ohm-cm (blood) to about 2500 ohm-cm (fat). The
surface resistivity of dry skin can be considerably higher.  An average of
about 400 ohm-cm is typically used for estimating bulk resistivity for
humans. For comparison seawater, being "saltier" and a better ionic
conductor, has a resistivity of about 25 ohm-cm. For comparison, annealed
copper runs about 1.7 microohm-cm, making copper over 200 million times
more conductive than an average human being. Humans make fairly good water
resistors but lousy conductors unless we get overloaded and begin carbon
tracking...  =:^(

The "skin depth" of a conductor is defined as the point at which the
current flow declines to 1/e, or about 37% of the total current. Skin depth
is a function of a material's electrical conductivity (the reciprocal of
its resistivity), it's magnetic permeability, and applied frequency. It can
be estimated using the following equation:

    Skin Depth = 1/(SQRT(Pi*F*Mu*Conductivity))

Plugging in the numbers for some common materials at 100 kHz and converting
to english measurements:

  Pure iron         =  0.26 mils
  Cold Rolled Steel =  1.48 mils
  Copper            =  8.23 mils
  Tungsten          = 14.71 mils
  Carbon            = 62.66 mils
  Sea water         = 31.33 INCHES
  Human Flesh (ave) = 10.44 FEET(!)

The above table sheds some light on why you wouldn't want to wind a
resonator or primary using a steel conductor. More importantly, it also
shows that (at Tesla Coil frequencies) skin effect is virtually
_nonexistent_ for human beings unless you happen to be large enough to
merit your own zip code! RF current from a Tesla Coil will pass THROUGH
your most conductive tissues and organs: blood, nerves, and muscles and
will certainly NOT stay on your skin. In fact, RF current pokes holes
through your more resistive skin and fat layers (often cauterizing and
carbonizing them in the process) to get to your juicier, more conductive,
interior. RF burns can be quite painful and they take a very long time to heal.

So, what are the medical risks of passing RF currents from Tesla Coils
through your body?? We don't really know! There's anecdotal evidence that
at least temporary tissue damage has occurred in folks who have passed
larger currents (especially from CW systems). In high school I experienced
joint pains several hours after drawing multi-ampere currents from a VTTC
(lighting multiple 100W light bulbs). I've never had any symptoms from
small disruptive coils. I know of at least three other coilers who have
reported similar joint pain from CW coils.

While short duration or low power levels are _probably_ safe (or at least
safer), we really don't know for sure. Play safely - you'll need to make
your own decisions on safety and risks.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--