Re: SSTC Pspice Simulation - Valid or changes needed? ? ? ?

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Terry and Dan,

A couple of possibilities...

1. The V2=V1*Sqrt(L2/L1) relationship was actually derived using
Conservation of Energy and an assumed fixed "bang size". This approach is
really not appropriate for a resonator being driven from a CW or pulsed CW
source that can continually add energy into the oscillating system from
"outside".  For this case, it's more appropriate to use Q-multiplication to
estimate pre-breakout output voltage. Under CW excitation, secondary
voltage will build up until secondary losses (per cycle) balance power
being added into the TC primary (per cycle). Since pre-breakout Q is
normally quite high (>=100) in a well designed coil the multiplication
factor is also of similar magnitude. If you're seeing 12 inch discharges,
you are definitely getting significantly more than 20 kV output.

2. Terry's model simplified corona and streamer losses by assuming constant
corona loading, but was actually estimated by by looking at "no breakout"
ringdown of the secondary. It's very likely that Rcorona of 250 ohms is
artificially depressing the model's secondary Q during (pre-breakout)
ring-up and artificially reducing peak voltage reached by the SPICE model.
In reality, secondary Q should remain high during most of the ring-up. It
should begin to measurably decline only after initial corona breakout
begins to sap additional energy from the secondary. However, significant
reductions in secondary Q should only be evident after full fledged
streamers and leaders begin to tap significant energy from the
secondary/toroid system.

The secondary model may be more accurate by removing Rcorona. However, it
may also be appropriate to include an R term which accounts for additional
AC resistance of the resonator at Fo (to account for skin and proximity
effects in addition to the DC resistance of the resonator). The effective
AC resistance of the resonator can be estimated by calculating resonator Q
(such as base-driving the resonator from Terry's pinger, and measuring
ringdown response).

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--